Results 1 to 9 of 9
Discuss Location of Door Ajar Sensor in the alt.autos.ford forum at Car Dealer Forums; We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door sensors has been ...
  1. #1
    aRKay
    Guest

    Default Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door
    sensors has been causing the dash light to come on.

    I think it is the driver's door and suspect (guessing) it
    may be a bad ground.

    Anyone know where the sensor is located?



    › See More: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

  2. #2
    ScottM
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    Its in the latch on the door most likely. 9 times out of 10 a liberal spray
    with wd-40 or similar lube will free the sticking switch and fix your
    problem.

    IIRC the switch is near the top of the latch inside, try to get the lube up
    high inside.


    "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    news:arkayREMOVE-8D0BC7.10302521032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door
    > sensors has been causing the dash light to come on.
    >
    > I think it is the driver's door and suspect (guessing) it
    > may be a bad ground.
    >
    > Anyone know where the sensor is located?




  3. #3
    aRKay
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    Scott,

    Thanks for the response..... I am going to spray the crap out of
    everything associated with the latch.

    Stay tuned!

    Dick

    In article <47e400a0$0$1103$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    "ScottM" <no@no.com> wrote:

    > Its in the latch on the door most likely. 9 times out of 10 a liberal spray
    > with wd-40 or similar lube will free the sticking switch and fix your
    > problem.
    >
    > IIRC the switch is near the top of the latch inside, try to get the lube up
    > high inside.
    >
    >
    > "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    > news:arkayREMOVE-8D0BC7.10302521032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > > We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door
    > > sensors has been causing the dash light to come on.
    > >
    > > I think it is the driver's door and suspect (guessing) it
    > > may be a bad ground.
    > >
    > > Anyone know where the sensor is located?


  4. #4
    aRKay
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    Thanks for the tip. i think it may have worked as the light has not
    come back on again. Have my fingers crossed!

    Dick

    In article
    <arkayREMOVE-6CD2DC.19515522032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>,
    aRKay <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > Thanks for the response..... I am going to spray the crap out of
    > everything associated with the latch.
    >
    > Stay tuned!
    >
    > Dick
    >
    > In article <47e400a0$0$1103$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    > "ScottM" <no@no.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Its in the latch on the door most likely. 9 times out of 10 a liberal spray
    > > with wd-40 or similar lube will free the sticking switch and fix your
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > IIRC the switch is near the top of the latch inside, try to get the lube up
    > > high inside.
    > >
    > >
    > > "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    > > news:arkayREMOVE-8D0BC7.10302521032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > > > We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door
    > > > sensors has been causing the dash light to come on.
    > > >
    > > > I think it is the driver's door and suspect (guessing) it
    > > > may be a bad ground.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone know where the sensor is located?


  5. #5
    ScottM
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    I think you got it too. VERY common Ford problem.

    "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    news:arkayREMOVE-1F9A8D.06264525032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > Thanks for the tip. i think it may have worked as the light has not
    > come back on again. Have my fingers crossed!
    >
    > Dick
    >
    > In article
    > <arkayREMOVE-6CD2DC.19515522032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net>,
    > aRKay <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Scott,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response..... I am going to spray the crap out of
    >> everything associated with the latch.
    >>
    >> Stay tuned!
    >>
    >> Dick
    >>
    >> In article <47e400a0$0$1103$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    >> "ScottM" <no@no.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Its in the latch on the door most likely. 9 times out of 10 a liberal
    >> > spray
    >> > with wd-40 or similar lube will free the sticking switch and fix your
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > IIRC the switch is near the top of the latch inside, try to get the
    >> > lube up
    >> > high inside.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    >> > news:arkayREMOVE-8D0BC7.10302521032008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    >> > > We have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and one of the door
    >> > > sensors has been causing the dash light to come on.
    >> > >
    >> > > I think it is the driver's door and suspect (guessing) it
    >> > > may be a bad ground.
    >> > >
    >> > > Anyone know where the sensor is located?




  6. #6
    aRKay
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    In article <MPG.225eb3e862b5e74c989a9c@newsgroups.comcast.net >,
    I. Care <icare@spamthis.com> wrote:

    > In article <arkayREMOVE-EF1E30.02325403042008
    > @news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, arkayREMOVE@qsl.net says...
    > > The shots of WD40 helped but the door ajar light still comes on some of
    > > the time. Cannot get to fail but sometimes it works perfect the gets it
    > > brains scrambled.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions other than shots of WD-40?
    > >
    > > Dick
    > >
    > >

    > You could try electrical contact cleaner. The only other thing I have
    > heard that works is replace the switch.


    I have not been able to see or find the switch so no way could I replace
    it. Guess I will just keep shotting WD40 n the blind

  7. #7
    I. Care
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    In article <arkayREMOVE-855828.15564703042008
    @news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, arkayREMOVE@qsl.net says...
    > In article <MPG.225eb3e862b5e74c989a9c@newsgroups.comcast.net >,
    > I. Care <icare@spamthis.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <arkayREMOVE-EF1E30.02325403042008
    > > @news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, arkayREMOVE@qsl.net says...
    > > > The shots of WD40 helped but the door ajar light still comes on some of
    > > > the time. Cannot get to fail but sometimes it works perfect the gets it
    > > > brains scrambled.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions other than shots of WD-40?
    > > >
    > > > Dick
    > > >
    > > >

    > > You could try electrical contact cleaner. The only other thing I have
    > > heard that works is replace the switch.

    >
    > I have not been able to see or find the switch so no way could I replace
    > it. Guess I will just keep shotting WD40 n the blind
    >

    Go to your local Ford dealer parts department and ask about the switch.
    They will probably be glad to show you the diagram of it's location so
    you can be sure it's what you want, then decide if you want to tackle
    the job.
    --
    I. Care
    Address fake until the SPAM goes away ;-}

  8. #8
    ScottM
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    Did you clean the other switches?(other doors)








    "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    news:arkayREMOVE-855828.15564703042008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > In article <MPG.225eb3e862b5e74c989a9c@newsgroups.comcast.net >,
    > I. Care <icare@spamthis.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <arkayREMOVE-EF1E30.02325403042008
    >> @news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, arkayREMOVE@qsl.net says...
    >> > The shots of WD40 helped but the door ajar light still comes on some of
    >> > the time. Cannot get to fail but sometimes it works perfect the gets
    >> > it
    >> > brains scrambled.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions other than shots of WD-40?
    >> >
    >> > Dick
    >> >
    >> >

    >> You could try electrical contact cleaner. The only other thing I have
    >> heard that works is replace the switch.

    >
    > I have not been able to see or find the switch so no way could I replace
    > it. Guess I will just keep shotting WD40 n the blind




  9. #9
    aRKay
    Guest

    Default Re: Location of Door Ajar Sensor

    Yes, I did the passenger door as well as the rear hatch. FYI, have
    not seen the door ajar for two days. Fingers are crossed

    In article <47f96c24$0$4962$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    "ScottM" <no@no.com> wrote:

    > Did you clean the other switches?(other doors)
    >
    >
    > "aRKay" <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> wrote in message
    > news:arkayREMOVE-855828.15564703042008@news.houston.sbcglobal.net.. .
    > > In article <MPG.225eb3e862b5e74c989a9c@newsgroups.comcast.net >,
    > > I. Care <icare@spamthis.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <arkayREMOVE-EF1E30.02325403042008
    > >> @news.houston.sbcglobal.net>, arkayREMOVE@qsl.net says...
    > >> > The shots of WD40 helped but the door ajar light still comes on some of
    > >> > the time. Cannot get to fail but sometimes it works perfect the gets
    > >> > it
    > >> > brains scrambled.
    > >> >
    > >> > Any suggestions other than shots of WD-40?
    > >> >
    > >> > Dick
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> You could try electrical contact cleaner. The only other thing I have
    > >> heard that works is replace the switch.

    > >
    > > I have not been able to see or find the switch so no way could I replace
    > > it. Guess I will just keep shotting WD40 n the blind


Similar Threads

  1. door ajar light
    By manus in forum Ford
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 05:39 PM
  2. door ajar light
    By kuppi in forum Ford
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 06:38 AM
  3. disable the door ajar chime
    By j.kilgo@gmail.com in forum alt.trucks.chevy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 05:10 AM
  4. 98 Windstar door ajar sensor malfunction
    By TP in forum alt.autos.ford
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 08:38 PM
  5. Passenger door ajar light in dash won't go out
    By new2subaru in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •