Results 1 to 7 of 7
Discuss 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience in the alt.autos.ford forum at Car Dealer Forums; I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what I ...
  1. #1
    dmtaurus
    Guest

    Default 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what
    I was getting into. This is my 4th Taurus, the others being a '90, '95,
    and '00. All call for the same filter but the '05 uses a special fuel
    line clip. Most of the filters come with the clips because they get
    brittle and break. But the catalog on the 05, which calls for the same
    filter, has a special clip at tank end and a push release at engine
    end. I didn't know any of this so I had to figure out how to get the
    old filter off. Like always, the plastic clip on the tank side broke
    when I was removing the filter. The clip that comes with the new filter
    didn't fit. (All this happened on a Saturday night; had to run to
    Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys to search for the clip; none had it.)
    So now I was suck. Monday I went to NAPA, they never let me down, and
    the guys couldn't find it in the books or in a "help" packages, and the
    05 clip doesn't come with the filter. I went to a Ford dealer, and
    surprise, Motorcraft sells the filter with NO clips. The parts guy
    looked in the book for the 05 and the only listing was for the whole
    fuel line, no clips are listed separately. What a joke! He said that
    the service guy, if he broke one, would have to end up cutting the line
    and running a hose to the filter. Thinking this was getting out of
    hand, that evening I went to the NAPA site (because they never let me
    down) and behold, I find a listing and a photo of what looks to be the
    clips! I printed the page, took it to NAPA, they didn't carry it
    (couldn't even find it their books) but would order them from the
    warehouse. I picked them up today and they are the correct clips. Even
    though they only come as a 10 piece lot at $7.77, I was still satisfied
    with the ending. To me there is nothing worse than starting a simple
    job and seeing it grow into a mess. The NAPA number is FILNCK11. To
    those who are about to change the filter I hope this helps.




    › See More: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

  2. #2
    Tom Adkins
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    dmtaurus wrote:
    > I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what
    > I was getting into. This is my 4th Taurus, the others being a '90, '95,
    > and '00. All call for the same filter but the '05 uses a special fuel
    > line clip. Most of the filters come with the clips because they get
    > brittle and break. But the catalog on the 05, which calls for the same
    > filter, has a special clip at tank end and a push release at engine
    > end. I didn't know any of this so I had to figure out how to get the
    > old filter off. Like always, the plastic clip on the tank side broke
    > when I was removing the filter. The clip that comes with the new filter
    > didn't fit. (All this happened on a Saturday night; had to run to
    > Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys to search for the clip; none had it.)
    > So now I was suck. Monday I went to NAPA, they never let me down, and
    > the guys couldn't find it in the books or in a "help" packages, and the
    > 05 clip doesn't come with the filter. I went to a Ford dealer, and
    > surprise, Motorcraft sells the filter with NO clips. The parts guy
    > looked in the book for the 05 and the only listing was for the whole
    > fuel line, no clips are listed separately. What a joke! He said that
    > the service guy, if he broke one, would have to end up cutting the line
    > and running a hose to the filter. Thinking this was getting out of
    > hand, that evening I went to the NAPA site (because they never let me
    > down) and behold, I find a listing and a photo of what looks to be the
    > clips! I printed the page, took it to NAPA, they didn't carry it
    > (couldn't even find it their books) but would order them from the
    > warehouse. I picked them up today and they are the correct clips. Even
    > though they only come as a 10 piece lot at $7.77, I was still satisfied
    > with the ending. To me there is nothing worse than starting a simple
    > job and seeing it grow into a mess. The NAPA number is FILNCK11. To
    > those who are about to change the filter I hope this helps.


    There are tools available to release the OEM clips. If you had been properly
    trained, you would know this, There are also, as you found out, different clips for
    different applications that require yet more different tools. I'm glad you figured it
    out, but remember what you learned if you ever have to have a simple fuel filter
    replaced at a shop and wonder why the price is so "high".

  3. #3
    dmtaurus
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    I think the bigger question is why would Ford go from making a successful, proven
    design, to a design, albeit successful, but yet incur unnecessary tooling and changeover
    costs to the manufacturing process. Hence, the mechanic at the dealer has to get a
    "special' tool to do a simple change-out. That's not a smart way to do good business,
    for Ford or the mechanic. Training has some part but realistically it should not be
    that complex. I figured out how to do the old style in a snap, but the new style has
    too many pitfalls that even a trained mechanic can fall into. The new clip is not
    nearly as robust as the old clip. I'm not blaming the shop or mechanic for the price
    they might charge. If there is any blame to be found in this it's with the designer who
    fixed something that wasn't broke.


    Tom Adkins wrote:

    > dmtaurus wrote:
    > > I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what
    > > I was getting into. This is my 4th Taurus, the others being a '90, '95,
    > > and '00. All call for the same filter but the '05 uses a special fuel
    > > line clip. Most of the filters come with the clips because they get
    > > brittle and break. But the catalog on the 05, which calls for the same
    > > filter, has a special clip at tank end and a push release at engine
    > > end. I didn't know any of this so I had to figure out how to get the
    > > old filter off. Like always, the plastic clip on the tank side broke
    > > when I was removing the filter. The clip that comes with the new filter
    > > didn't fit. (All this happened on a Saturday night; had to run to
    > > Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys to search for the clip; none had it.)
    > > So now I was suck. Monday I went to NAPA, they never let me down, and
    > > the guys couldn't find it in the books or in a "help" packages, and the
    > > 05 clip doesn't come with the filter. I went to a Ford dealer, and
    > > surprise, Motorcraft sells the filter with NO clips. The parts guy
    > > looked in the book for the 05 and the only listing was for the whole
    > > fuel line, no clips are listed separately. What a joke! He said that
    > > the service guy, if he broke one, would have to end up cutting the line
    > > and running a hose to the filter. Thinking this was getting out of
    > > hand, that evening I went to the NAPA site (because they never let me
    > > down) and behold, I find a listing and a photo of what looks to be the
    > > clips! I printed the page, took it to NAPA, they didn't carry it
    > > (couldn't even find it their books) but would order them from the
    > > warehouse. I picked them up today and they are the correct clips. Even
    > > though they only come as a 10 piece lot at $7.77, I was still satisfied
    > > with the ending. To me there is nothing worse than starting a simple
    > > job and seeing it grow into a mess. The NAPA number is FILNCK11. To
    > > those who are about to change the filter I hope this helps.

    >
    > There are tools available to release the OEM clips. If you had been properly
    > trained, you would know this, There are also, as you found out, different clips for
    > different applications that require yet more different tools. I'm glad you figured it
    > out, but remember what you learned if you ever have to have a simple fuel filter
    > replaced at a shop and wonder why the price is so "high".



  4. #4
    Bob
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    dmtaurus wrote:
    > I think the bigger question is why would Ford go from making a successful, proven
    > design, to a design, albeit successful, but yet incur unnecessary tooling and changeover
    > costs to the manufacturing process. Hence, the mechanic at the dealer has to get a
    > "special' tool to do a simple change-out. That's not a smart way to do good business,
    > for Ford or the mechanic...


    Why? Because they can save a few cents on the production line. This is
    nothing new in the car business. Service is where the dealers make
    their money, so they can easily afford the special tools and training.
    Manufacturers concentrate on keeping costs down, rather than making
    service easier for DIYers or independent shops.

  5. #5
    dmtaurus
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    In this case specifically, the new style clip is not any easier to install than the old
    design and, because of it's crossection, is easier to break. so where is he labor savings?
    There is none. Material savings are nil.

    Now as far as the dealers go, yes, it's the service bays that make the money. But if I can
    shave minutes off the off the disassembly of something in the shop, and reduce the possible
    risk of breaking the old part and having to dig it out, why would I not want to do that? I
    can spend those shaved minutes working on something else and making more money. Savings in
    tools and training is what a dealer would desire, not more of it. Nobody said that DIY'ers
    were the interest of the car companies.

    The whole point of my post was really to help anyone that reads in this group to get help
    from someone who has been there done that. It wasn't really to slam the designer, although I
    have to admit that it's sometimes satisfying to do that, but to give another mechanic or
    owner some info and help if they get into this problem. Dealers or other interested parties
    may get burrs under their saddle. But so what, I am not a dealer or interested other party.

    Bob wrote:

    > dmtaurus wrote:
    > > I think the bigger question is why would Ford go from making a successful, proven
    > > design, to a design, albeit successful, but yet incur unnecessary tooling and changeover
    > > costs to the manufacturing process. Hence, the mechanic at the dealer has to get a
    > > "special' tool to do a simple change-out. That's not a smart way to do good business,
    > > for Ford or the mechanic...

    >
    > Why? Because they can save a few cents on the production line. This is
    > nothing new in the car business. Service is where the dealers make
    > their money, so they can easily afford the special tools and training.
    > Manufacturers concentrate on keeping costs down, rather than making
    > service easier for DIYers or independent shops.



  6. #6
    GlassVial
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    And then you wonder why Ford's lost billions...

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:33:41 -0400, dmtaurus <dmtaurus@surfbest.net>
    wrote:

    >I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what
    >I was getting into. This is my 4th Taurus, the others being a '90, '95,
    >and '00. All call for the same filter but the '05 uses a special fuel
    >line clip. Most of the filters come with the clips because they get
    >brittle and break. But the catalog on the 05, which calls for the same
    >filter, has a special clip at tank end and a push release at engine
    >end. I didn't know any of this so I had to figure out how to get the
    >old filter off. Like always, the plastic clip on the tank side broke
    >when I was removing the filter. The clip that comes with the new filter
    >didn't fit. (All this happened on a Saturday night; had to run to
    >Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys to search for the clip; none had it.)
    >So now I was suck. Monday I went to NAPA, they never let me down, and
    >the guys couldn't find it in the books or in a "help" packages, and the
    >05 clip doesn't come with the filter. I went to a Ford dealer, and
    >surprise, Motorcraft sells the filter with NO clips. The parts guy
    >looked in the book for the 05 and the only listing was for the whole
    >fuel line, no clips are listed separately. What a joke! He said that
    >the service guy, if he broke one, would have to end up cutting the line
    >and running a hose to the filter. Thinking this was getting out of
    >hand, that evening I went to the NAPA site (because they never let me
    >down) and behold, I find a listing and a photo of what looks to be the
    >clips! I printed the page, took it to NAPA, they didn't carry it
    >(couldn't even find it their books) but would order them from the
    >warehouse. I picked them up today and they are the correct clips. Even
    >though they only come as a 10 piece lot at $7.77, I was still satisfied
    >with the ending. To me there is nothing worse than starting a simple
    >job and seeing it grow into a mess. The NAPA number is FILNCK11. To
    >those who are about to change the filter I hope this helps.


    -GV


  7. #7
    Doc
    Guest

    Default Re: 2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

    You're absoluitely right! They want to make a few extra pennies. ie;
    Back in the 1960's I owned several Cadillacs. I found that the Cad
    prices were outa sight! But but the Buick prices for the EXACT SAME
    PART was much cheaper. So guess which parts I bought?

    They will do anything to make a buck!!
    Doc
    ================================


    > > "special' tool to do a simple change-out. That's not a smart way to do good business,
    > > for Ford or the mechanic...

    >
    > Why? Because they can save a few cents on the production line. This is
    > nothing new in the car business. Service is where the dealers make
    > their money, so they can easily afford the special tools and training.
    > Manufacturers concentrate on keeping costs down, rather than making
    > service easier for DIYers or independent shops.




Similar Threads

  1. '99 Taurus Fuel Pump Replacement....Remove Tank, Or???
    By Weldman in forum alt.autos.ford
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
  2. Fuel Filter Replacement
    By invnjm@willex.com in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 11:49 PM
  3. 1998 V70 fuel filter replacement
    By tom_sawyer70@yahoo.com in forum alt.autos.volvo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 09:38 PM
  4. fuel filter replacement 2000 elantra
    By ted3221965@yahoo.com in forum alt.autos.hyundai
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •