Results 1 to 8 of 8
Discuss How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)? in the alt.autos.gm forum at Car Dealer Forums; I just bought up a used 1987 car and I am trying to get it ...
  1. #1
    Joseph
    Guest

    Default How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    I just bought up a used 1987 car and I am trying to get it
    safety/certified so I can drive it. Could someone please tell me how
    long a safety certificate is good for (to the MTO people when you try
    to get your plate)? If I get it say today, is it good for up to 3
    months from now or 6 months from now? I am considering getting it
    certified and sit it out for a couple months until 2007 so I don't
    have to go through with the emission testing BS. It will be exempted
    in Jan 1, 2007 (right?)




    › See More: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

  2. #2
    80 Knight
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    "Joseph" <spmok2@canada.com> wrote in message
    news:1158287231.521565.36370@d34g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    >I just bought up a used 1987 car and I am trying to get it
    > safety/certified so I can drive it. Could someone please tell me how
    > long a safety certificate is good for (to the MTO people when you try
    > to get your plate)? If I get it say today, is it good for up to 3
    > months from now or 6 months from now? I am considering getting it
    > certified and sit it out for a couple months until 2007 so I don't
    > have to go through with the emission testing BS. It will be exempted
    > in Jan 1, 2007 (right?)


    36 days. After that, you will need to have the car re-saftied in order to
    register it with the MTO. And yes, your 1987 will not need an e-test as of
    January 1 2007.



  3. #3
    Snow
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?


    Don't forget that under the law you have 10 days to transfer the
    ownership of the vehicle to your name...

    This doesn't meen you have to have the vehicle certified and e-tested
    within the 10 days, just the title transfered.

    However, if you transfer the vehicle into your name now and then sit on
    the car until January the license office can order you to take the
    vehicle to an actual MTO inspection station for certification..
    these inspection stations are run by the same guys who work with the
    OPP on the 400 highway pulling unsafe vehicles (ohhh and they find
    some good ones..) They will look at everything including some real
    stupid items like fuel line clamp condition (and brake line clamps) as
    well as making sure ALL the bulbs that are in or on the vehicle work.
    yes this also includes the ashtray buld if the vehicle in question has
    one.

    Your best bet and in the end cheapest route, is get a good garage to do
    the safety now (believe its $70 or $80), take your vehicle into a good
    drive clean shop for smog testing $30. (pick a shop that tests only, as
    they have nothing to gain by your vehicle failing).

    And then go transfer the vehicle...

    Snow...


  4. #4
    Snow
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?


    BTW what type of vehicle is it that your so worried about it passing
    the drive clean test??

    You do know that on the drive clean site you can enter the vin number
    of the vehicle and get a copy of the drive clean test history. Do this
    and you can see if you even need to worry about anything that may now
    cause a problem.


    Snow...


  5. #5
    Joseph
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    Hi Snow,
    Actually I already transferred the ownership of the vehicle to my name
    using the "Unplated/Unfit" option. So I already got that green
    ownership piece of paper. Are you saying I still should go get it
    safetied/emission right away? I thought now that I have the ownership
    in my name I can just go get it safetied/emission at a time of my
    convenient sometimes in the near future? Thx Joe

    Snow wrote:
    > Don't forget that under the law you have 10 days to transfer the
    > ownership of the vehicle to your name...
    >
    > This doesn't meen you have to have the vehicle certified and e-tested
    > within the 10 days, just the title transfered.
    >
    > However, if you transfer the vehicle into your name now and then sit on
    > the car until January the license office can order you to take the
    > vehicle to an actual MTO inspection station for certification..
    > these inspection stations are run by the same guys who work with the
    > OPP on the 400 highway pulling unsafe vehicles (ohhh and they find
    > some good ones..) They will look at everything including some real
    > stupid items like fuel line clamp condition (and brake line clamps) as
    > well as making sure ALL the bulbs that are in or on the vehicle work.
    > yes this also includes the ashtray buld if the vehicle in question has
    > one.
    >
    > Your best bet and in the end cheapest route, is get a good garage to do
    > the safety now (believe its $70 or $80), take your vehicle into a good
    > drive clean shop for smog testing $30. (pick a shop that tests only, as
    > they have nothing to gain by your vehicle failing).
    >
    > And then go transfer the vehicle...
    >
    > Snow...



  6. #6
    Joseph
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    Its a 1987 Mercedes 260E . I am not certain it will pass emission
    cause its very old car, with 212000 kilometer on it. I bought it
    because the body is still good and has no rusts. I intend to replace my
    beat up rusty 1988 olds with it.

    Snow wrote:
    > BTW what type of vehicle is it that your so worried about it passing
    > the drive clean test??
    >
    > You do know that on the drive clean site you can enter the vin number
    > of the vehicle and get a copy of the drive clean test history. Do this
    > and you can see if you even need to worry about anything that may now
    > cause a problem.
    >
    >
    > Snow...



  7. #7
    Snow
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    ah ok then, your fine.. however they may now tell you that you have to
    go and have the safety done by the MTO Vehicle Inspectors instead of a
    regular garage.

    One thing to consider as well is now you'll need to get it towed to
    anyplace to have the safety done and e-test. Unless they changed the
    rules in the past 3 yrs, they won't issue a 10 day permit to any
    vehicle that has unsafe/unfit on the ownership.


    Snow...


    Joseph wrote:
    > Hi Snow,
    > Actually I already transferred the ownership of the vehicle to my name
    > using the "Unplated/Unfit" option. So I already got that green
    > ownership piece of paper. Are you saying I still should go get it
    > safetied/emission right away? I thought now that I have the ownership
    > in my name I can just go get it safetied/emission at a time of my
    > convenient sometimes in the near future? Thx Joe
    >
    > Snow wrote:
    > > Don't forget that under the law you have 10 days to transfer the
    > > ownership of the vehicle to your name...
    > >
    > > This doesn't meen you have to have the vehicle certified and e-tested
    > > within the 10 days, just the title transfered.
    > >
    > > However, if you transfer the vehicle into your name now and then sit on
    > > the car until January the license office can order you to take the
    > > vehicle to an actual MTO inspection station for certification..
    > > these inspection stations are run by the same guys who work with the
    > > OPP on the 400 highway pulling unsafe vehicles (ohhh and they find
    > > some good ones..) They will look at everything including some real
    > > stupid items like fuel line clamp condition (and brake line clamps) as
    > > well as making sure ALL the bulbs that are in or on the vehicle work.
    > > yes this also includes the ashtray buld if the vehicle in question has
    > > one.
    > >
    > > Your best bet and in the end cheapest route, is get a good garage to do
    > > the safety now (believe its $70 or $80), take your vehicle into a good
    > > drive clean shop for smog testing $30. (pick a shop that tests only, as
    > > they have nothing to gain by your vehicle failing).
    > >
    > > And then go transfer the vehicle...
    > >
    > > Snow...



  8. #8
    Snow
    Guest

    Default Re: How long is a safety certificate valid for (in Ontario)?

    Well if it was mechanically taken care of then you should have no
    problem passing an e-test. If you look on the drive clean website
    there is a spot where you can input your vin number and get a past
    history report for the cars prior e-tests.

    212000 km's is *u&k all on a car of its vintage, my 89 waggy has
    210000 plus and it passed the etest this past June with no troubles, I
    didn't even change the plugs or anything. It too had to pass as I was
    buying from a family member.

    Snow...



    Joseph wrote:
    > Its a 1987 Mercedes 260E . I am not certain it will pass emission
    > cause its very old car, with 212000 kilometer on it. I bought it
    > because the body is still good and has no rusts. I intend to replace my
    > beat up rusty 1988 olds with it.
    >
    > Snow wrote:
    > > BTW what type of vehicle is it that your so worried about it passing
    > > the drive clean test??
    > >
    > > You do know that on the drive clean site you can enter the vin number
    > > of the vehicle and get a copy of the drive clean test history. Do this
    > > and you can see if you even need to worry about anything that may now
    > > cause a problem.
    > >
    > >
    > > Snow...



Similar Threads

  1. certificate
    By ronbon in forum alt.autos.toyota
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 06:31 AM
  2. What it takes to certify and safety a Dunebuggy?(ontario)
    By Kingpin16 in forum General Car Biz Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
  3. Ontario Emission DriveClean Test
    By Joseph in forum alt.autos.gm
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
  4. Ontario Emission DriveClean Test
    By Joseph in forum alt.autos.toyota
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 05:09 PM
  5. London Ontario Repair Shops
    By Kevin Miller in forum alt.autos.toyota
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •