Results 1 to 7 of 7
Discuss Strange happening with spedometer in the alt.autos.subaru forum at Car Dealer Forums; When I started out on an errand I noticed the spedometer and odometers weren't working! ...
  1. #1
    Mike Rezsutek
    Guest

    Default Strange happening with spedometer

    When I started out on an errand I noticed the spedometer and odometers
    weren't working! So, I ran home, looked around for a possible reason, but
    couldn't see anything obvious. I had to make another trip, but this time
    the spedometer was working. Has anyone heard of similar behaviors, and if
    so, what the cause may be?

    TIA.

    Mike



    › See More: Strange happening with spedometer

  2. #2
    KNatz1
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer


    Mike - I'm having the same issue - going to get my 1999 Subaru Outback
    checked tomorrow...Karen


    --
    KNatz1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KNatz1's Profile: http://www.autostalk.com/m45
    View this thread: http://www.autostalk.com/t391675


  3. #3
    Mike Rezsutek
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:13:49 -0600, KNatz1 wrote:

    >
    > Mike - I'm having the same issue - going to get my 1999 Subaru Outback
    > checked tomorrow...Karen


    Please let us know what you learn. Thanks, Karen.

  4. #4
    j
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer

    Hey guys,

    In late 2003 I found a really good deal on a 99 OBW Limited with low
    miles, and a little bit of body damage. Later that night I got on the
    freeway, and noticed that the speedo, and thus the odo, was not
    working. Long story short, I got a hold of the service records, and
    noticed that there were some major discrepancies in the mileage
    accumulations. When I alerted the dealer of the issue the finance
    manager freaked out, as he had signed the odometer disclosure
    statement, and they fixed it immediately. I wound up returning the car
    because of how everyone, except the finance manager, handled the
    situation.

    Anyhow, turns out this was common in that year only. If I recall
    correctly, it was something like a $270 fix.


  5. #5
    Frank
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer


    j wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > In late 2003 I found a really good deal on a 99 OBW Limited with low
    > miles, and a little bit of body damage. Later that night I got on the
    > freeway, and noticed that the speedo, and thus the odo, was not
    > working. Long story short, I got a hold of the service records, and
    > noticed that there were some major discrepancies in the mileage
    > accumulations. When I alerted the dealer of the issue the finance
    > manager freaked out, as he had signed the odometer disclosure
    > statement, and they fixed it immediately. I wound up returning the car
    > because of how everyone, except the finance manager, handled the
    > situation.
    >
    > Anyhow, turns out this was common in that year only. If I recall
    > correctly, it was something like a $270 fix.


    Reminds me of guy I worked with that traded in 3 year old Buick with
    30,000 miles on odometer. After deal had been cut and signed, dealer
    commented that wear looked like higher milage and coworker told him it
    was 130,000 miles. Back in those days odometers did not go beyond
    99,999. Dealer had to eat it.
    Frank


  6. #6
    Mike Rezsutek
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:29:40 -0800, j wrote:

    > Hey guys,
    >
    > In late 2003 I found a really good deal on a 99 OBW Limited with low
    > miles, and a little bit of body damage. Later that night I got on the
    > freeway, and noticed that the speedo, and thus the odo, was not
    > working. Long story short, I got a hold of the service records, and
    > noticed that there were some major discrepancies in the mileage
    > accumulations. When I alerted the dealer of the issue the finance
    > manager freaked out, as he had signed the odometer disclosure
    > statement, and they fixed it immediately. I wound up returning the car
    > because of how everyone, except the finance manager, handled the
    > situation.
    >
    > Anyhow, turns out this was common in that year only. If I recall
    > correctly, it was something like a $270 fix.


    The nearest dealer to me is now about 85 miles. You don't happen to
    remember what the fix was, or if it was a dealer-only type of repair, do
    you? I would really hate to spend a day going to a dealer if I could get
    it done locally by a reputable mechanic. TIA.

    Mike

  7. #7
    j
    Guest

    Default Re: Strange happening with spedometer


    Mike Rezsutek wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:29:40 -0800, j wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys,


    > The nearest dealer to me is now about 85 miles. You don't happen to
    > remember what the fix was, or if it was a dealer-only type of repair, do
    > you? I would really hate to spend a day going to a dealer if I could get
    > it done locally by a reputable mechanic. TIA.
    >
    > Mike


    I'm not 100%, but I think it was some module where the speedo cable
    connected to the back of the gauge cluster. I took the car back to the
    dealer about five days later.

    I'll check with my dealer to see if they still have the record.


Similar Threads

  1. do you know what is happening in your dealership right now?
    By adrian@getcarseller.com in forum Customer Relationship Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 02:49 AM
  2. Report: BMW M1 not happening, look for 135is instead
    By CarIndustryNews in forum Car Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
  3. Really wierd happening today 2000 ACCENT 3dr Manual.
    By CBX2@webtv.net in forum alt.autos.hyundai
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 05:45 AM
  4. Santa Fe cold startted happening
    By moonglow in forum alt.autos.hyundai
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
  5. 94 Voyager Won’t shift no spedometer
    By bjsweet in forum rec.autos.makers.chrysler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •