Results 1 to 4 of 4
Discuss 1999 Forester: What to Expect? in the alt.autos.subaru forum at Car Dealer Forums; My husband and I just bought a new (to us) 1999 Subaru Forester. This is ...
  1. #1
    Catherine Jefferson
    Guest

    Default 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    My husband and I just bought a new (to us) 1999 Subaru Forester.
    This is my fourth Subaru; I've been driving Subarus since shortly
    after college. (For well over 20 years.)

    Prior to buying it, I had a Suby Specialties in Monrovia, CA,
    check the vehicle out. It had suspiciously low mileage for a
    1999 -- just under 45K. (You read that right.) The Carfax was
    clean, though, and the vehicle had apparently been part of a
    corporate fleet for its first seven years and was not driven
    much. Steve (the owner of Suby Specialties) also warned me about
    the first-generation DOHC engines used on 1998 and early 1999
    Foresters, which he said have severe problems with blown head
    gaskets, and checked to be sure that this Forester had the
    second-generation SOHC motor instead.

    Other than the rear wheel ball bearing issue, does anyone here
    know of anything I should be looking out for with this car? It
    handles beautifully, is a joy to drive.

    Thanks!



    --
    Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <ariel@spambouncer.org>
    The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>



    › See More: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

  2. #2
    Catherine Jefferson
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    duszkiew@apk.net wrote:

    > keep an eye out for oil and coolant levels : 2nd gen 2.5 liters leak
    > cooland and oil, too .....in the beginning externally but then through
    > the fire rings, too


    i'd heard that the second generation engines had some issues with this,
    just nothing like the first generation engines did. Steve (the
    independent Subaru mechanic I go to) didn't think that this would happen
    before the car had 120K or 130K on it, even if I were one of the unlucky
    ones. (Apparently only about 15% of the second-generation engines has
    shown this problem.) I'm a fanatic about regular oil changes and fluid
    checks, so this will happen.

    > sorry to say that
    > but i just traded-in my '00 outback ltd. to buy new toyota yaris sedan
    > ( amazing appliance) and i will NEVER EVER go back to subarus......
    > just my $ .02


    I can understand that, given your experience. I haven't found anything
    in the Toyota or Honda lines that does what I like to do, though. My
    Subarus frequently go offroad in areas that would stretch the capacity
    of a Jeep or genuine SUV. I love the outdoors, and my husband is an
    archaeologist.

    It really is a pity that Toyota hasn't been interested in putting a good
    AWD on one of its sport wagons....


    --
    Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <ariel@spambouncer.org>
    The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>

  3. #3
    duszkiew@apk.net
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    On May 23, 3:34 pm, Catherine Jefferson <spamt...@spambouncer.org>
    wrote:
    > duszk...@apk.net wrote:


    > It really is a pity that Toyota hasn't been interested in putting a good
    > AWD on one of its sport wagons....
    >
    > --
    > Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <a...@spambouncer.org>
    > The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    > Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>


    actually Japanese Yaris sedan, called Belta over there ( not a wagon,
    though) comes in a AWD version; from what i was told the engine
    layout was (obviously) changed from transverse to longitudinal but
    it' still the same engine, i.e. 1fe-nz



  4. #4
    Catherine Jefferson
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    Rob1066 wrote:
    > L series 5-speed. currently has 106K


    Okay, average mileage. Mine is an S-series and has automatic.

    > For the most part it's been a great car...here are the problems worth
    > noting:
    > Burned through a distributor cable on a long road trip. Probably
    > isolated incident (we'd gone 16 hours straight in August)
    > Had to replace the center diff at 95K due to the well-documented
    > torque-bind issue. This little repair cost $1600


    I hadn't heard of this issue. Could you tell me more/point me to where
    this is documented? Thanks!

    > Otherwise it's run well. I too am fanatical about 3,000 mile oil
    > changes and fluid checks and have pretty much followed Subarus
    > recommended maintence sked.
    > I am starting to actually see more 99s on the road than before, so I
    > take that to be a good thing.
    > I also replaced the radio and speakers because, well, they just s--
    > ked.
    > Clutch is still the original as are my rear wheel bearings.


    Sounds good. Thanks!


    --
    Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <ariel@spambouncer.org>
    The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>

  5. #5
    Rob1066
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    On May 24, 1:22 pm, Catherine Jefferson <spamt...@spambouncer.org>
    wrote:
    > Rob1066 wrote:
    > > L series 5-speed. currently has 106K

    >
    > Okay, average mileage. Mine is an S-series and has automatic.
    >
    > > For the most part it's been a great car...here are the problems worth
    > > noting:
    > > Burned through a distributor cable on a long road trip. Probably
    > > isolated incident (we'd gone 16 hours straight in August)
    > > Had to replace the center diff at 95K due to the well-documented
    > > torque-bind issue. This little repair cost $1600

    >
    > I hadn't heard of this issue. Could you tell me more/point me to where
    > this is documented? Thanks!
    >
    > > Otherwise it's run well. I too am fanatical about 3,000 mile oil
    > > changes and fluid checks and have pretty much followed Subarus
    > > recommended maintence sked.
    > > I am starting to actually see more 99s on the road than before, so I
    > > take that to be a good thing.
    > > I also replaced the radio and speakers because, well, they just s--
    > > ked.
    > > Clutch is still the original as are my rear wheel bearings.

    >
    > Sounds good. Thanks!
    >
    >
    > Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <a...@spambouncer.org>
    > The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    > Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>


    If you search the message boards for Torque Bind you should find what
    you need. Essentially it seems to be caused (at least what I've read
    AND what the dealer told me) by improper tire wear and inflation. If
    the tires do not ride evenly it puts undue stress on the AWD
    transmission and causes bad things to happen in the center diff. Mine
    had basically seized to the point where the car could no longer "shift
    power to the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip." I'm just glad
    the problem surfaced in summer, because if I had been on snow or
    something I think the whole drive train would have exploded based on
    my understanding of the problem. Bottom line: Keep close eye on tire
    wear and inflation.


  6. #6
    Catherine Jefferson
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    Rob1066 wrote:

    > If you search the message boards for Torque Bind you should find what
    > you need. Essentially it seems to be caused (at least what I've read
    > AND what the dealer told me) by improper tire wear and inflation. If
    > the tires do not ride evenly it puts undue stress on the AWD
    > transmission and causes bad things to happen in the center diff. Mine
    > had basically seized to the point where the car could no longer "shift
    > power to the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip." I'm just glad
    > the problem surfaced in summer, because if I had been on snow or
    > something I think the whole drive train would have exploded based on
    > my understanding of the problem. Bottom line: Keep close eye on tire
    > wear and inflation.


    Ah.... I hadn't heard about this, but this is my fourth Subaru, and AWD
    cars are always sensitive to uneven tire wear. In fact, I replaced all
    four tires on this car a week after I bought it because one of them was
    defective. Hope it wasn't driven on that one too much. <wry grin>

    Thanks for the summary!


    --
    Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <ariel@spambouncer.org>
    The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>

  7. #7
    nobody >
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    Catherine Jefferson wrote:
    > My husband and I just bought a new (to us) 1999 Subaru Forester.
    > This is my fourth Subaru; I've been driving Subarus since shortly
    > after college. (For well over 20 years.)
    >
    > Prior to buying it, I had a Suby Specialties in Monrovia, CA,
    > check the vehicle out. It had suspiciously low mileage for a
    > 1999 -- just under 45K. (You read that right.) The Carfax was
    > clean, though, and the vehicle had apparently been part of a
    > corporate fleet for its first seven years and was not driven
    > much. Steve (the owner of Suby Specialties) also warned me about
    > the first-generation DOHC engines used on 1998 and early 1999
    > Foresters, which he said have severe problems with blown head
    > gaskets, and checked to be sure that this Forester had the
    > second-generation SOHC motor instead.
    >
    > Other than the rear wheel ball bearing issue, does anyone here
    > know of anything I should be looking out for with this car? It
    > handles beautifully, is a joy to drive.
    >
    > Thanks!



    Hello Catherine! I'm another NANAE poster who owns a 2000 Outback.

    You already got most of the information on the headgasket issues. The
    SOHC also has problems. You may want to have Suby Specialties or a
    dealer check the VIN against the recall list. I lucked out when one
    gasket went away last summer, and the extended warranty covered it all
    (other than the cam belt that I had them put in while it was apart). It
    was hard to believe that Subaru would honor that on a car pushing 8
    years old with 98K miles at the time.

  8. #8
    Catherine Jefferson
    Guest

    Default Re: 1999 Forester: What to Expect?

    nobody > wrote:

    > Hello Catherine! I'm another NANAE poster who owns a 2000 Outback.


    Did you hear Hacker X is back? <G> I don't post there much these days,
    but I lurk.

    > You already got most of the information on the headgasket issues. The
    > SOHC also has problems. You may want to have Suby Specialties or a
    > dealer check the VIN against the recall list. I lucked out when one
    > gasket went away last summer, and the extended warranty covered it all
    > (other than the cam belt that I had them put in while it was apart). It
    > was hard to believe that Subaru would honor that on a car pushing 8
    > years old with 98K miles at the time.


    Been done. No recalls open on that vehicle. Suby Specialties is on the
    ball, and that's definitely something we both wanted to know.


    --
    Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson <ariel@spambouncer.org>
    The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
    Personal Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/>

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24

    Default

    print a vehicle history report to know more about that car, that's what I normally do
    Most Reliable Carfax Alternative Report, only $1 each, UNLIMITED for AUTO DEALERS Dealer program. Sign up now!
    VINAUDIT

Similar Threads

  1. 1999 Forester lights blinking
    By John Varela in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. 1999 Forester 2.5 L - DTC P0136
    By AJay in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
  3. 1999 Forester Misfire
    By don.wyll@verizon.net in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •