Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Discuss 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic? in the alt.autos.toyota forum at Car Dealer Forums; I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius ...
  1. #1
    Rocky
    Guest

    Default 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last
    night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    Rocky



  2. #2
    Ph@Boy
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Rocky wrote:
    > I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last
    > night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    > 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    > Rocky
    >
    >

    Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.

  3. #3
    Jeff
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Rocky wrote:
    > I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last
    > night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    > 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    > Rocky


    I just did a search for 00279-1qt5w-01 on google. I found it for less
    than $3 per quart. I doubt at that price it is synthetic.

    This chart suggests that the 00279-1qt5w-01 part number is for regular
    Genuine Toyota motor oil.

    http://www.camrymanuals.com/manuals/Fluid_Specs.pdf

    It may be that the part number is used for any Toyota 5W-30 motor oil or
    they used the wrong part number because they charge a fixed price for
    the synthetic service, and you did get synthetic.

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Rocky
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let
    these morons work at the service desk? He said I could not use the dealer's
    discount oil change coupon next time because it does not cover synthetic oil
    but the car does not use syn.

    The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I
    give them a lower mark service postcard, what happens to them? I have the
    survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the car from and I can't answer
    excellant on that either since I was treated rudely by their service writer
    too.

    "Ph@Boy" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    news:RLudnYUGJPUKKHLbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    > Rocky wrote:
    >> I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius
    >> last night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    >> 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    >> Rocky

    > Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.




  5. #5
    Ph@Boy
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Rocky wrote:
    > I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let
    > these morons work at the service desk? He said I could not use the dealer's
    > discount oil change coupon next time because it does not cover synthetic oil
    > but the car does not use syn.
    >
    > The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I
    > give them a lower mark service postcard, what happens to them? I have the
    > survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the car from and I can't answer
    > excellant on that either since I was treated rudely by their service writer
    > too.
    >
    > "Ph@Boy" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > news:RLudnYUGJPUKKHLbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    >> Rocky wrote:
    >>> I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius
    >>> last night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    >>> 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    >>> Rocky

    >> Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.

    >
    >

    Most modern synthetic oils are excellent high tech lubricants that
    should meet or exceed the specs for most car engines. You can read the
    service rating on the container and compare it to your owners manual
    stated requirements and specs. I think you should be fine using one. The
    most important being following the recommended oil change interval.
    Synthetic oils usually cost more and that probably is the reason that
    they did not accept a coupon for that increase to their costs. You might
    want to contact Toyota USA (manufacturer) to get an exact answer. As far
    as the survey goes, write your conscience. You will feel better and
    perhaps eventually change a few things at the dealership. Ray O is far
    more qualified to answer this, since I believe he was the Toyota factory
    representative to many dealerships in a region. Watch for his post.

  6. #6
    Jeff
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Rocky wrote:
    > I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let
    > these morons work at the service desk? He said I could not use the dealer's
    > discount oil change coupon next time because it does not cover synthetic oil
    > but the car does not use syn.
    >
    > The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I
    > give them a lower mark service postcard, what happens to them?


    Do you care? If they are mistreating you, let Toyota know.

    And I wouldn't wait until you get a postcard. Go to www.toyota.com.
    There is a way to provide feedback to Toyota costumer service. They are
    the ones who should know.

    > I have the
    > survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the car from and I can't answer
    > excellant on that either since I was treated rudely by their service writer
    > too.


    They are asking for honest feedback. Give it to them.

    It can only help improve service.

    Jeff

    > "Ph@Boy" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > news:RLudnYUGJPUKKHLbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    >> Rocky wrote:
    >>> I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius
    >>> last night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    >>> 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    >>> Rocky

    >> Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.

    >
    >


  7. #7
    Jeff Strickland
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Use the oil that is called for in the Owner's Manual. Synthetic costs more,
    and there is a camp that will claim that it is superior to dino oil. (I will
    not be drawn into that debate.)

    Toyota, and others, are now recommending light weight oils because they take
    less effort to pump through the motor, freeing up energy to deliver to the
    tires instead. If you were to use a straight 30 weight oil (30W), then in
    cold weather -- early morning -- the engine would have to puch thick goo
    through the motor. This makes a lubrication issue to deal with, and it takes
    fuel. So, if you used 0w30, then in cold, the 0 in the oil means it is thin
    and easy to pump, but as it warms up it gets thicker so it protects better.
    Single weight oil is kind of like pancake syrup; as it heats up, it thins
    out so you need to plan your selection for the heat and suffer with the
    effects when it is cold. Multi weight (multi grade) oil is kind of the
    opposite, it is thin when cold and gets thick with heat. In a hot
    environment, thick is better, while in a cold environment thin is best.
    There is a point at which the thick oil is no longer "better," and the trick
    is to nudge up to that point with out crossing it. If the oil is thicker
    than is useful, it takes more energy to pump it but there is no beneift. Get
    it?

    The oil spec you listed in the Subject Line is not valid. 00279 is
    meaningless. 1qt means one quart. 5w-01 is invalid, I wouuld expect
    something like 5w-30 -- there are several grades that will work here, but
    the structure of the multi-grade oil is that the small number indicates the
    viscosity when cold and the high number indicates viscosity when hot -- the
    second number is never lower than the first, and it is commonly about 20
    higher, however this is a variable trait.

    You pointed out in another post that your Owner's Manual does not specify
    synthetic oil, you should bring this to the attention of the service
    manager, and use names and dates to describe the situation. You could copy
    Toyota America on the letter. The service writer should be selling you stuff
    that your car wants and needs, not what makes more money for the dealership.
    There is nothing wrong with using synthetic oil, and as I suggested earlier
    there is a large camp that swears it is a better product for your car and/or
    the environment. The Owner's manual will specify that you need not only 5w30
    (for example), but it will also spell out that you need SF or SG or
    something along those lines. SF and SG, et al, are quality specifications,
    and these letters are clearly marked on the container. As a practical
    matter, it is difficult to find oil that is not the proper quality and
    grade.









    "Rocky" <jcadellano.spam@optonline.net> wrote in message
    news:hFNHi.551$iA.221@newsfe12.lga...
    >I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last
    >night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that
    >00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this?
    > Rocky
    >



  8. #8
    Jeff
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Use the oil that is called for in the Owner's Manual. Synthetic costs
    > more, and there is a camp that will claim that it is superior to dino
    > oil. (I will not be drawn into that debate.)
    >
    > Toyota, and others, are now recommending light weight oils because they
    > take less effort to pump through the motor, freeing up energy to deliver
    > to the tires instead. If you were to use a straight 30 weight oil (30W),
    > then in cold weather -- early morning -- the engine would have to puch
    > thick goo through the motor. This makes a lubrication issue to deal
    > with, and it takes fuel. So, if you used 0w30, then in cold, the 0 in
    > the oil means it is thin and easy to pump, but as it warms up it gets
    > thicker so it protects better.


    The oil gets thicker as it gets warm?

    > Single weight oil is kind of like pancake
    > syrup; as it heats up, it thins out so you need to plan your selection
    > for the heat and suffer with the effects when it is cold. Multi weight
    > (multi grade) oil is kind of the opposite, it is thin when cold and gets
    > thick with heat.


    No, that's not true. When oil gets warmer, it gets thinner. However,
    multivisocity oil behaves like thinner oil at low temperatures (e.g.,
    5w30 oil flows more easily than 30 oil at 0 F), but like thicker oil at
    higher temperatures (e.g., 5W30 oil is thicker at 200 F than 0 oil).

    This pages does indicate how the multiweight oil does thin at higher
    temperatures, but not as much as singleweight oil.

    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

    <...>

  9. #9
    sharx35
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?


    "Rocky" <jcadellano.spam@optonline.net> wrote in message news:Fa7Ii.368$Sf2.268@newsfe12.lga...
    >I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let these morons work at the
    >service desk? He said I could not use the dealer's discount oil change coupon next time because it does
    >not cover synthetic oil


    At my dealer, I DO use the discount oil change coupon for synthetic, however they give me a credit for
    the value of non-synthetic oil that I am NOT using....about $2 a litre or so.




    > but the car does not use syn.
    >
    > The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I give them a lower mark
    > service postcard, what happens to them? I have the survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the
    > car from and I can't answer excellant on that either since I was treated rudely by their service writer
    > too.
    >
    > "Ph@Boy" <user@example.net> wrote in message news:RLudnYUGJPUKKHLbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    >> Rocky wrote:
    >>> I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last night. He said it uses
    >>> synthetic oil, but I can't find online that 00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to
    >>> conirm this?
    >>> Rocky

    >> Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.

    >
    >




  10. #10
    Ray O
    Guest

    Default Re: 00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?


    "Rocky" <jcadellano.spam@optonline.net> wrote in message
    news:Fa7Ii.368$Sf2.268@newsfe12.lga...
    >I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let
    >these morons work at the service desk? He said I could not use the
    >dealer's discount oil change coupon next time because it does not cover
    >synthetic oil but the car does not use syn.


    Make sure the engine oil is the proper viscosity, probably something like
    5W-30, and the proper API service grade, which is API Service SM.

    The number 00279-1qt5W-01 looks like a Toyota part number. My guess is that
    the dealership purchases oil in bulk but uses a Toyota part number to charge
    it out.

    >
    > The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I
    > give them a lower mark service postcard, what happens to them? I have the
    > survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the car from and I can't
    > answer excellant on that either since I was treated rudely by their
    > service writer too.
    >


    There are several different types of surveys. Many dealerships conoduct
    in-house surveys for every service visit. J.D. Powers is an independent
    survey company and surveys some owners, and Toyota sends surveys to new
    vehicle purchasers and customers who have had warranty repairs performed.

    One low survey probaly won't do anything to the service personnel because
    the folks who conduct surveys are looking for trends more than individual
    results. A consciencous service department will follow up with people who
    give low scores to try to improve customer satisfaction.

    --

    Ray O
    (correct punctuation to reply)



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. synthetic oils and blends with synthetic and petrolium oil
    By chickenlover in forum alt.autos.toyota
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 09:14 AM
  2. 10W 60 Synthetic oil
    By Phantom@NotHome.yet in forum alt.autos.audi
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
  4. Synthetic Oil
    By fred3400 in forum alt.autos.toyota
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •