Results 1 to 5 of 5
Discuss 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference? in the alt.trucks.chevy forum at Car Dealer Forums; Just browsing on Wikipedia (the most efficient way of wasting time) and I came upon ...
  1. #1
    Jon R. Pickens
    Guest

    Default 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference?

    Just browsing on Wikipedia (the most efficient way of wasting time) and
    I came upon the page titled "Chevrolet Straight-6 engine" (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Inline_6_engine )

    It list the "292" as being available from 1963 to 1990. It lists the
    "L25", also a 292ci I6, as being available from 1977 to 1985. The
    "292" is listed as having the taller deck, while not specifically
    mentioning displacement, whereas the L25 is listed as having 292ci of
    displacement without any mention of deck height.

    What's the difference between these two motors? Do they have the same
    stroke, bore and compression ratio or do they share only a few
    similarities?

    ~jp


  2. #2
    SnoMan
    Guest

    Default Re: 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference?

    On 12 Oct 2006 08:08:29 -0700, "Jon R. Pickens" <jonrpick@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Just browsing on Wikipedia (the most efficient way of wasting time) and
    >I came upon the page titled "Chevrolet Straight-6 engine" (
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Inline_6_engine )
    >
    >It list the "292" as being available from 1963 to 1990. It lists the
    >"L25", also a 292ci I6, as being available from 1977 to 1985. The
    >"292" is listed as having the taller deck, while not specifically
    >mentioning displacement, whereas the L25 is listed as having 292ci of
    >displacement without any mention of deck height.
    >
    >What's the difference between these two motors? Do they have the same
    >stroke, bore and compression ratio or do they share only a few
    >similarities?
    >
    >~jp



    None there was only one 292 though emissions changed the compression
    ratio, piston shape and head port design some the bore and stroke
    never did. It is easy to tell a 292 from a 230 or 250 and the covers
    for lifter access on side of block are a lot taller in 292.
    -----------------
    TheSnoMan.com

  3. #3
    Jon R. Pickens
    Guest

    Default Re: 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference?

    Well then... Good enough.

    I'm still on the lookout for a 292 block or complete engine. So far
    nothing local.

    ~jp

    SnoMan wrote:
    > None there was only one 292 though emissions changed the compression
    > ratio, piston shape and head port design some the bore and stroke
    > never did. It is easy to tell a 292 from a 230 or 250 and the covers
    > for lifter access on side of block are a lot taller in 292.
    > -----------------
    > TheSnoMan.com



  4. #4
    SnoMan
    Guest

    Default Re: Re: 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference?

    On 12 Oct 2006 10:52:07 -0700, "Jon R. Pickens" <jonrpick@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Well then... Good enough.
    >
    >I'm still on the lookout for a 292 block or complete engine. So far
    >nothing local.



    I would look for a 73 or later for hardened valves in heads if it
    comes out of a P/U. Once you see one they are easy to tell from a
    230/250. You might check boneyards for military surplus because they
    used a LOT of step vans in late 60's through early 80's powered my 292
    and UPS ran a fleet of trucks with propane powered 292's in local
    deleivery trucks for a bit in the 90's. SHould be some of them
    floating around somewhere.
    -----------------
    TheSnoMan.com

  5. #5
    Steve W.
    Guest

    Default Re: 292ci and the L25 (also 292ci) -- What's the difference?

    SnoMan wrote:
    > On 12 Oct 2006 10:52:07 -0700, "Jon R. Pickens" <jonrpick@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Well then... Good enough.
    >>
    >> I'm still on the lookout for a 292 block or complete engine. So far
    >> nothing local.

    >
    >
    > I would look for a 73 or later for hardened valves in heads if it
    > comes out of a P/U. Once you see one they are easy to tell from a
    > 230/250. You might check boneyards for military surplus because they
    > used a LOT of step vans in late 60's through early 80's powered my 292
    > and UPS ran a fleet of trucks with propane powered 292's in local
    > deleivery trucks for a bit in the 90's. SHould be some of them
    > floating around somewhere.
    > -----------------
    > TheSnoMan.com


    Keep in mind that they were offered in the 20 series and up. Not in the
    half tons UNLESS they were a heavy duty. Hollander shows three in my
    area. Car-Part,com will probably give you a couple pointer

    --
    Steve W.
    Near Cooperstown, New York

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Similar Threads

  1. E90 difference in gauges?
    By anoop in forum alt.autos.bmw
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
  2. Um, what's the difference...
    By =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= in forum alt.autos.subaru
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
  3. BDC, SDC…What’s the difference and which do you have?
    By yhurg in forum General Car Biz Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 05:24 AM
  4. 305ci V8 vs. 292ci I6...just curious.
    By Jon R. Pickens in forum alt.trucks.chevy
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 08:49 PM
  5. Whats the difference?
    By Lancerider in forum alt.autos.mitsubishi
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •